Since COVID became a thing, Beaver County’s food scene has weathered multiple storms to avoid an all-out catastrophe. Here are some things that fell off my laptop, including some exciting things going on on the local food scene in America’s County.

Ladybird’s Luncheonette in Beaver is emerging from a hidden gem to a place people throughout the region know about. They have been featured multiple times in Pittsburgh Magazine for numerous things on their menu, from the molasses cookie sandwich to their handpies. I’ve had the pleasure of enjoying their avocado toast and the gigantic, sourdough cinnamon roll. Both were home runs. Ladybird’s Luncheonette pushes the boundaries of what lunch and pastries should be. If you don’t know, now you know. They are located in the old Herban Touch Juice Lab, around the back of the building on 3rd Street in Beaver and up the steps.

What’s going on at Andy’s Barbecue Stand, the barbecue food truck of Bowser’s Restaurant in Center Township, is nothing short of remarkable. Head smoker of meats Andy Selby and his staff have utilized mobile, contactless ordering to go along with what might be the best brisket and smoked meat in western PA. That is not hyperbole. It’s genuinely that good, and it’s not by accident. Selby has flown around the country spending countless hours of R&D in an effort to perfect the art of smoking meat. We are fortunate to have barbecue on that level right in our back yard. 

I recently had a cheesecake from Don’s Deli in Beaver, and it was simply outstanding. It was dense yet light and creamy. The crust was made up of crumbled graham crackers, standard for the typical New York-style cheesecake. Don’s doesn’t just nail deli meats and cheeses. Add cheesecake to that list.

Spoiler alert: the former executive chef at Tabula Rasa in Monaca will be launching his newest venture, Steel City Fries food truck, sometime in the spring. Food trucks are more popular than ever, and if his food is anything like what he served up at Tabula Rasa, it’ll be a huge hit. Check back here for pictures and reviews in the next couple months.

Oram’s Donuts was recently named as the best donuts in the state of Pennsylvania by Food and Wine Magazine. Is anyone surprised? I’m not. Oram’s is, for lack of a better word, legendary. It’s kind of amazing they’ve never opened another location in the region, but maybe that’s what gives them even more hometown appeal. Oram’s sits on the Mount Rushmore of Beaver County food.

Speaking of donuts, I recently had a cherry cream stick from DeAngelis Donuts a few weeks ago. It was my first time to DeAngelis in quite some time, but the donuts were delicious as always. 

Carol’s Cakes in Center Township is Beaver County’s version of “Cake Boss.” While we have some excellent bakeries in the County, Carol’s is my #1. We had several of their cupcakes for my birthday – buckeye, chocolate covered banana, and burnt almond torte. We also bought a dozen of her wine cookies. Carol’s wine cookies are as authentic as you can get. When we need pastries, we usually visit Carol’s, or…

Another bakery that has made a name for itself in the past few months is Flower & Fin. Owner Carley Rice opened a storefront along Brighton Avenue in Rochester, and from what I’m told, she usually sells out of her baked goods by the end of the day. I recently had her violettes – the small half moon sugar cookie named after her daughter. Her cakes are not only pleasing to the eye, but pleasing to your brain and stomach as well.

Biba continues to consistently serve incredible food at an affordable price. If Biba were in Pittsburgh, you wouldn’t be able to get a reservation. With COVID, owner Jason Benegasi told me that around 60% of his business has been takeaway, with the other 40% being dine-in. My wife and I ate there in January, and we had the ribs, brisket mac and cheese, Brussels sprouts, and Cuban sandwich. Everything was off the charts. We simply love Biba.

If you follow us on Instagram, you know we always promote local businesses to our 2,000 plus followers. If you want us to follow you so we can share your posts to our story, either send us a message or follow us at @YourBeaverCounty.

Marc is a lifelong resident of Beaver County. A 2001 graduate of Center High School and 2005 graduate of Point Park University, Marc is employed by the Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School and officiates high school and college football. Follow Marc on Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram @marcgrando